Author Topic: Surprise, Suprise! Pat Craig got the money he wanted!  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Wotan

• Full member (i)
  • Doesn't care about territories.
    • http://www.insularis.com
Surprise, Suprise! Pat Craig got the money he wanted!
« on: October 17, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »
Pardon me ahead of time for the overly cynical tone of this post, but Pat Craig, the owner/operator of the Rocky Mountain Wildlife Center "Sanctuary" has pulled this particular sympathy stunt several times in recent years, and I don't have a great deal of patience for it, as I feel that it is simply milking public sympathy and gullibility in the worst way.  So, I freely admit my bias in this, and how that will conflict with other peoples' idea that the cats should always be helped, no questions asked.  Unfortunately, "no questions asked" also tends to mean that it allows people, who take advantage of others to continue to do it with impunity, and if they are caught at it, they can play the sympathy card once again, and get off Scot-Free.

Anyway, though his overall intentions may be good, Mr. Craig has a history of every once in a while putting out the threat that unless his sanctuary gets a certain amount of money by a certain date, it will have to close, and animals will DIE.

Really, it's just http://www.savetoby.com on a much larger scale, IMO.  Contrast this with the situation at Big Cats of Serenity Springs, which actually WAS an unforseen tragedy.  I (and many others in the big cat community) found it no coincidence that Pat Craig's latest "crisis" developed within days of Serenity Springs announcing that Karen Sculac (their founder) had died.

A more cynical person might say that Mr. Craig saw the publicity and donations that his "competition" was getting, and he wanted a piece of the action.  Just like Oral Roberts got the $8,000,000 he was looking for after he claimed that he had spoken to a 900 ft apparition of Jesus, who had told him that unless he raised that money, God would "call him Home".

Anyway, the news story is posted below:

The Rocky Mountain Wildlife Conservation Center will remain open after all and this time, officials believe it will stay open for good.

The conservation center in Keenesburg has battled a financial crisis for a year after its regular donors chose to help with Hurricane Katrina, the tsunami and other major disasters. Pat Craig, the sanctuary's founder and owner, threatened last December to close before receiving a flurry of donations. When he announced this summer he was closing anyway, choosing to spend the last few months of money on finding new homes for the animals, another flurry of donations came.

That flurry should be enough to not only keep the place alive for the next few months, it should give them enough time to develop a long-term plan, said Toni Scalera, director of public affairs for the sanctuary. In fact, that's what the sanctuary was doing after it got enough donations to stay open the first time, until two major gifts worth hundreds of thousands of dollars were pulled at the last minute.

Craig is especially grateful for the donations, some which came from around the world, given that he was having an impossible time finding homes for the 150 big cats and bears that reside there. In many cases, his sanctuary was a last resort for those animals. More than 30,000 exotic animals continue to be kept outside of zoos, many in sub-standard conditions, and hundreds more are bred every year.

The sanctuary still needs donations to continue to remain alive and will always need help to feed the animals. Most of the sanctuary's $600,000 (or more) budget goes toward food, alone. It is once again open to the public.

Now the sanctuary is accepting help from upcoming fundraisers and should even receive from public relations help from actress Jessica Biel, most recently of "The Illusionist, " who visited the place and fell in love, Scalera said. Craig and Scalera also are working on a major gifts campaign, development of corporate sponsorship and major grants, as well as continuing to work with family foundations, workplace giving programs, school adoption projects, sponsors and other foundations. Finally, they have installed a new pledge program. Three local fundraising events will take place in the next few weeks to raise awareness of the nonprofit's rescue operations.

"We're doing everything you can possibly do, and we're doing it right," Scalera said. "We learned our lesson last time about counting on one source, and this time people have really been willing to help us, and that just warms our heart that so many people care.

"We won't let this happen again."
"All great truths are "hard" and "bitter", but Lies, to the morbidly inclined, are sweeter than wild honey." - Ragnar Redbeard, "Might is Right" (1890).

Offline Wotan

• Full member (i)
    • http://www.insularis.com
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 11:35:38 PM »
Here is another opinion piece on Mr. Craig, taken from the Feline Conservation Federation (FCF) website.

I am suffering a horrible case of déjà vu. Just like you can count on Arnold Schwarzenegger saying "I'll be back” in a Terminator movie, you can count on Pat Craig of “The Rocky Mountain Wildlife Conservation Center” being back with just another threat to euthanise the wild and exotic animals at his sanctuary year after year unless he gets paid ransom to not kill them, again and again and again.

It never ceases to amaze me how gullible some reporters can be. Mr. Pat Craig of Colorado has been using his sanctuary animals as hostages and threatening to kill them since late 1990s. Somehow, there is always a reason to kill them, and somehow he always stays open.

Many places offered to take his animals this summer, he refused.

His place operates as non profit entity, so in a way, you need to treat it like a business. Pat Craig has proven year after year he is NOT fiscally effective leader, how come the board of directors didn’t remove him a long time ago and put somebody with more leadership and fundraising skills in his position?

Do you think if this was a real for profit business, Mr. Craig would still have a job?

And how come public is still tolerating his hostage survival for money demands? Try to substitute kids for animals, how long do you think foster parents would have the kids if they threatened to kill them all the time unless state or somebody gives them more money?

Don’t you think most if not all people would ask that kind of foster home to send the kids somewhere else and demand that these parents never again get custody of any new kids since they proved themselves to be unethical and irresponsible and unable to take on this task?

Why is Pat Craig being treated with so much leniency? How come reporters don’t do better job researching their subjects and asking relevant questions, like where did the magic out of the hat number of 30.000 large exotic pets came from? And what proof do you have that wildlife trafficking is 3rd largest in the world, last I read, United Nations claimed it was human trafficking taking the 3rd place.

And most of all, how come Pat Craig is not taking any responsibility and is always blaming ‘something’ for his own shortcomings, instead of finally admitting he doesn’t have what it takes to be a responsible sanctuary owner and step down and let a more efficient person to take over to help the innocent animals?

Because if Mr. Pat Craig Is not terminated as the leader of “The Rocky Mountain Wildlife Conservation Center”, you can count on him to be back with another euthanasia threat.

Wotan, please post the source of Feline Conservation Federation.
"All great truths are "hard" and "bitter", but Lies, to the morbidly inclined, are sweeter than wild honey." - Ragnar Redbeard, "Might is Right" (1890).

Offline Adminstrator

• King of this Jungle
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:26:14 AM »
In future, please make news posts impartially - just post the news story without the introduction.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."  - Dr. Seuss