Author Topic: Kevin Richardson - Dangerous Companions  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Faunoiphilia

• Full member (i)
  • Doesn't care about territories.
  • I'm a Yiffy Griffy!
    • Youtube - Faunoiphilia
Kevin Richardson - Dangerous Companions
« on: September 15, 2012, 06:56:05 AM »
Found this on youtube.  I've watched through the first two parts and it's good.  Thought I'd share it here.

Kevin Richardson - Dangerous Companions - FULL - clip (1 of 4) (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Kevin Richardson - Dangerous Companions - FULL - clip (2 of 4) (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Kevin Richardson - Dangerous Companions - FULL - clip (3 of 4) (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Kevin Richardson - Dangerous Companions - FULL - clip (4 of 4) (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

[http://www.lionwhisperer.co.za
The series host is Kevin Richardson. Known as the Lion Whisperer, self taught animal behavioristwho has 12 years of experience working with captive bred lions, works with some of the most dangerous animals known to man. Rather then train the animals he persuades them. To do this he uses his own unusual methods. He uses, love, understanding and trust and has developed some very close bonds with these animals. He has become many things a trusted ally, the dominant male of a clan of hyenas, a brother. But most of all he is well loved and trusted by his animal friends. He sleeps with lions, cuddles newborn hyenas and swims with lionesses.]

Now I finally know where those pictures of that man swimming with a lioness comes from. :>

Search out the truth in life and follow what makes you happy because what comes after is the only thing you cannot find in this world.

www.furaffinity.net/user/faunoiphilia

Offline Wotan

• Full member (i)
    • http://www.insularis.com
Re: Kevin Richardson - Dangerous Companions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »
I have one hard and fast rule with regards to animal people who are visible in the media.

The moment anyone refers to themselves as a "whisperer", I immediately dismiss them as a self-aggrandising asshole.
"All great truths are "hard" and "bitter", but Lies, to the morbidly inclined, are sweeter than wild honey." - Ragnar Redbeard, "Might is Right" (1890).

Offline Ahriman

• Full member (i)
  • I need a hug
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
I have one hard and fast rule with regards to animal people who are visible in the media.

The moment anyone refers to themselves as a "whisperer", I immediately dismiss them as a self-aggrandising asshole.

Pretty much

Especially with big cats. Rule of thumb has always been to steer clear of big cat "experts" because there's no such thing and anyone claiming to be one will get you killed.
"If you are taught to love everyone, even your enemies, what value does that place on love?"~ Marilyn Manson

Offline Ruark

• New Kitty
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:17:04 AM »
He's actually a pretty cool guy... had a conversation with him for a couple of hours one night. His husbandry methods are quite controversial yes, but his animals are very well cared for.
If you love what you do,
you will never work a day in your life.

Offline Wotan

• Full member (i)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 03:45:47 AM »
He's actually a pretty cool guy... had a conversation with him for a couple of hours one night. His husbandry methods are quite controversial yes, but his animals are very well cared for.

...And that doesn't disprove (much less even address) the point I was making. Any self-aggrandiser knows how to turn on the charm when they feel the need to. It comes as a basic option with the self-appointed "whisperer" package.

I've had experience in the animal community for enough years to have met scads of folks who can charm the pants off anyone, and your wallet out of those pants. And always, without fail, that façade begins to slip (if not completely fall away) the moment that they think no one is looking, or if they no longer feel the need to impress you (i.e., you're not useful to them any longer).

In the last more than two decades, I can count the number of people I've met in the animal community, who've truly and honestly impressed me on the fingers of one hand. And not a single one of those folks is even remotely photogenic, much less telegenic. Most of them are gruff, unfriendly, aged and/or overweight, dress like a hobo, and tend to have a face that only a mother could love.
I'd take a dozen Alex Larentys over a single Kevin Richardson.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:51:53 AM by Wotan »
"All great truths are "hard" and "bitter", but Lies, to the morbidly inclined, are sweeter than wild honey." - Ragnar Redbeard, "Might is Right" (1890).

Offline Tambako

• Full member (i)
    • Flickr Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 04:27:58 PM »
A note aside. Have you heard about Matto Barfuss Wotan? If yes do you have an opinion?
He's mostly known in Germany but since you know pretty much I thought you'd know him...
I love to lick my furry friends, because they all are sweet! :p

Furry forever  -  Proud to be furry

Visit my photo gallery!

Offline Wotan

• Full member (i)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »
Tambako,
 I'm not very familiar with that fellow. All I know is that he's been described as an "animal rights activist" (Big Minus), and he looks a bit too slick and well put-together for a truly "down and dirty" animal person (Smaller Minus). However, he's not described as a "whisperer" either by himself or by the media (Big Plus).

However, as I said, I don't know the fellow well enough to have a fully-formed opinion of him either way. The "slick" part can usually be forgiven if the animal person is genuine, but I have a harder time with the "animal rights activist" part.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:47:02 PM by Wotan »

Offline Tambako

• Full member (i)
    • Flickr Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »
Tambako,
 I'm not very familiar with that fellow. All I know is that he's been described as an "animal rights activist" (Big Minus), and he looks a bit too slick and well put-together for a truly "down and dirty" animal person (Smaller Minus). However, he's not described as a "whisperer" either by himself or by the media (Big Plus).

However, as I said, I don't know the fellow well enough to have a fully-formed opinion of him either way. The "slick" part can usually be forgiven if the animal person is genuine, but I have a harder time with the "animal rights activist" part.

Thanks Wotan for your opinion even if you don't know him well, it's still good to know. I also don't know him that well, seemingly even less than you.
I said that because he's coming to Zurich for a multimedia show on November 24th. He's showing his photographs, which is considering my hobby somewhat attractive and brought me to the decision to buy a ticket.
Let's see if he's also bringing the animal activism part to the surface, I'm curious. I also hope to exchange some words with him, the venue isn't that big...

Visit my photo gallery!

Offline Ruark

• New Kitty
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 05:43:15 AM »

...And that doesn't disprove (much less even address) the point I was making. Any self-aggrandiser knows how to turn on the charm when they feel the need to. It comes as a basic option with the self-appointed "whisperer" package.

I've had experience in the animal community for enough years to have met scads of folks who can charm the pants off anyone, and your wallet out of those pants. And always, without fail, that façade begins to slip (if not completely fall away) the moment that they think no one is looking, or if they no longer feel the need to impress you (i.e., you're not useful to them any longer).

In the last more than two decades, I can count the number of people I've met in the animal community, who've truly and honestly impressed me on the fingers of one hand. And not a single one of those folks is even remotely photogenic, much less telegenic. Most of them are gruff, unfriendly, aged and/or overweight, dress like a hobo, and tend to have a face that only a mother could love.
I'd take a dozen Alex Larentys over a single Kevin Richardson.

I haven't heard (or seen) him call himself a "whisperer" (maybe he has), though others have called him that. You're making claims about someone you've never met based on what? Yes, there are loads of "self-aggrandizers" out there, especially in my field, but just because someone has a bit of fame doesn't mean they are one. What makes Alex any different from Kevin besides the fact that Kevin is more well known.... you know they work together right? The lions you see them with are many of the same lions....
If you love what you do,

Offline Wotan

• Full member (i)
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
You're completely correct!

I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

Carry on smartly, sir!

Far be it from me to question one of the Beautiful People.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:49:45 AM by Wotan »

Offline Ruark

• New Kitty
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 06:49:32 AM »

Carry on smartly, sir!

No reason to get offended by civil discourse.... Why do you think you have no idea what you are talking about? What's a "Beautiful Person"?
If you love what you do,

Offline huskygs

• New Kitty
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
This man is so awesome!!!

Offline Wotan

• Full member (i)
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 02:43:23 AM »
This man is so awesome!!!

(slurp slurp slurp)

Offline Cid

• Full member (i)
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »

Carry on smartly, sir!

Way to answer to criticism. Ignore it, and get all passive-aggressive. Either stop that, or quit complaining about everybody else being naive. Your call.

As to contribute to the topic, I've spent some time on and with Matto Barfuss. He's much of the traditional hippie-type artist, who eventually picked up doing some charity work with a self-funded project. Having a low profile as he does, he is still positively contributing to saving the animals he cares for.

Same for Mr Richardson. What do I care if people present themselves nicely, profile themselves, or are not much more than the facade of a sell-out? As long as they're doing good, that is what matters.
This thread is a lot like people complaining about someone only doing high-profile volunteer work. Yeah, it's only for their ego. So what? I'd rather have a shitton of people volunteering in high-profile positions than nobody doing any volunteer work.

Charities and NGOs strife attention, they need it badly; with attention comes money. Even Laurie Marker is not much more than a spokesperson for the CCF these days, even though she has done quite an impressive amount of down-and-dirty work.

TL; DR: Both types of people are important. The hype is annoying, but warranted/necessary to raise any kind of awareness in the public.

I'm possessed by a beautiful sickness.

Offline Tambako

• Full member (i)
    • Flickr Gallery
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »
Cid, I didn't know you spent time with Matto Barfuss. Nice!
I could talk a bit with him, but nothing special after all, I didn't want to steal too much of my time. Gave him my card, maybe he had a look to my animal pics...

Visit my photo gallery!